- Show Old / Show New: In the web UI, have a way to get the raw old and raw new text, in case you want to revert things or copy some of it or whatever else.
- Mail Section Titles: In mail, all sections have an "EDIT DETAILS" header, but they should have per-field headers instead ("CHANGES TO SUMMARY", "CHANGES TO TEST PLAN" or similar).
- Paste should Code-Diff: Paste got converted here somewhat accidentally, but is probably better as a code diff. The old behavior wasn't really particularly great (it was "half-a-code-diff", more or less) but it should probably be swapped to become more of a pure code diff. See some additional context in T11743. Prose diffing ".txt" might be OK.
- Config should Code-Diff?: I think we have at least one "JSON BLOB" thing in Config (and maybe in Almanac?). These would be better as code diffs.
- Plain Text Mail?: ~~Maybe try to do something with plain text mail, if we can figure out something reasonable. (No apparent interest in this or suggestions for "something reasonable", and I don't have any real ideas myself.)
As a user, when I get an email that remarks:
Alice edited the task description
I usually want to see what the change was. It's currently a complete mystery, that requires me to:
- open the page in a browser,
- scroll down to the line where the edit was made
- click on "(Show details)"
There are 3 possible ways to solve this. In the email notification:
- Provide a direct link to the diff, e.g. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/transactions/detail/PHID-XACT-TASK-ziuazd55shmmdl7/ (which should also link back to the task it is associated with)
- or, Provide a link to the specific timestamp (to remove the need to scroll to it), e.g. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T75851#1139254
- or, Provide the diff itself in the mail. -- [this option is possibly too complicated (HTML vs plaintext, etc) but possibly a worthwhile long-term goal?]
Thank you! w(O>O)w