It's labor-intensive to move a large number of tasks around on a workboard.
- Original task suggests multi-select; this is possible, but quite complicated and probably a lot of JS work.
- Trello has "Move all cards in this column..." (somewhat specialized, but seems useful in cases where it makes sense?) and "Move to..." (better for long moves?) in context menus.
- A low-effort, power-user interaction like "option-click a task to move it to to the last column you moved a task to" might be a good workaround. Another possible interaction could be "press and hold 3 to highlight the 3rd column; while holding the button click tasks to move them". These are a little odd but easy to implement.
- See also some discussion in T4476.
Some groundwork which is likely to be useful no matter what:
- We can't directly drop tasks into columns in an order-neutral way right now, although I think this is trivial to implement.
- Converting the "edit column / add task" buttons on columns into a dropdown would let us put more stuff in there; we'll run out of space soon otherwise, and the buttons are a bit mystery-meat even now.
- This and T5475 may inform each other, in terms of adding dropdown menus to tasks.