A SAAS install reports that a user would like to disable all popup notifications since they find them distracting.
Revisions and Commits
- Mentioned In
- Z1336: General Chat
- Mentioned Here
- T5791: Write Herald rules for outbound mail
T6162: Add an "Email and unread notification" option in user's Email Preferences
T7004: Don't send email whilst online
T7575: Implement online/idle/away infrastructure
T8227: Why not just add an option/setting/preference?
T8883: Allow desktop notifications to replace normal notifications
T10448: Modularize mail tags
- I think maybe zero or one other users have ever asked for this feature, so we might be building this feature for approximately one user.
- We generally put a pretty high barrier on new options/settings (see T8227).
- This is probably at least somewhat covered by T5791 / T10448 and related work might eventually make it at least partially redundant, although I'd expect those to offer a way to drop notifications completely, not just the popup part.
- T6162 asks for "email + unread notification", which is sort of the opposite of this but if we have 5 states anyway we might as well have 6.
- T8883 is more closely related, and asks for a way to disable page notifications if desktop notifications are enabled.
- This has low inherent peril and is basically a reasonable sort of request.
- With T8883, this would fit well into the "Desktop Notifications" panel: No Notifications, Desktop Only, Page Only, Page and Desktop.
More arguments against:
- I think having multiple options which enable Desktop notifications might be a gigantic pain because of the way notification permissions work?
- I think the "Desktop Notifications" panel may be way overdue for modernization?
I'm not going to jump on this right away, but my current inclination is:
- Implement this and T8883 if the "Desktop Notifications" panel is in reasonable shape.
- Wait, then implement them in the future if it isn't.
A final idle thought is that maybe the user actually wants "mute notifications on this page" or "quiet mode", in which case this is closer to T7575 / T7004 and might possibly be better covered elsewhere, but since the request is so rare I suspect we wouldn't necessarily want to conflate "published availability" with "notification behavior" or surface this in the presumably-more-prominent availability status UI we might build. I'm also not really sure we're ever going to build the T7004 version of that stuff since I'm deeply suspicious of the feature.