There is a class of action items we want to present to users which don't fit well into existing channels like Notifications. Generally, they pertain to profile and settings updates. For example:
- The email address on external account X changed, do you want to add it to your account?
- Your client has a different timezone than your account, do you want to update it?
- Another user suggested a profile edit, do you want to accept it?
Notifications are high-volume, time-sensitive, short-lived, ephemeral, and don't need to be updated or affect anything else, while these items should be durable and are not necessarily time sensitive, and might later need to be removed or adjusted or updated (e.g., if the user's client keeps switching timezones, or the external account address changes more times) so dumping them into notifications doesn't feel like a very good fit to me.
- These could be something like "super notifications" that just end up at the top of the menu, maybe.
- These could show up on the profile page, and we could put a counter or indicator on the profile image in the main menu. For (1), specifically prompting the user at login time is desirable, but maybe we could just redirect them to the item after login.
- We could put these on the dashboards, but users might completely miss them, and these are time-sensitive enough that I think we should make it hard.