The major barrier to the simple cases of account import is backpopulating instance accounts into the cluster. Specifically, we need a workflow which:
- Identifies all unlinked, non-bot accounts on an instance.
- With administrative oversight:
- links accounts to existing cluster accounts based on email addresses (this is a potential security risk, so they need to be vetted);
- creates new accounts in cases where no cluster account exists:
- prompts to rename cluster accounts with name collisions;
- creates the accounts;
- creates an OAuth link;
- creates an instance membership; and
- allows one-time login mail to be sent.
Then we can import instance data in the simple case by:
- importing a MySQL dump;
- running account backpopulation;
- everyone can now log in and everything works.