"New Instance" screen is really wordy:
- Copy can probably be simplified, especially after simplifying the free trial.
- We haven't had any problems with name abuse, we could probably put that at the bottom of the page.
- Limitations don't seem to be surprising users either, this could also go on the bottom.
- Most users will have only one billing account and no clue what that field means. If there's only one valid option, we could hide the field.
- Name field could maybe be more clear a Name: [__________].phacility.com
- We don't currently allow numbers or dashes in instance names but a few instances have ended up with probably-not-their-favorite-names because of this. Noninitial numbers and nonconsecutive, internal dashes are fine.
The new instance page asks you to sit there and reload it:
Instances usually only take a couple of seconds to start up, but this feels janky. It would be better if we kicked you to a progress bar for like 5 seconds and then sent you here, even if the progress bar was completely artificial and served no purpose but to slow the user down enough that the daemons can usually start their instance.
Alternatively, auto-reloading this page or something.
Minor, but the error-in-objectbox (as here) is something I might want to try tuning a bit more design-wise? It looked a little better to me when it was flush. It ends up looking a little awkward in some of these "status" use cases to me.
I think the rest of this is basically pretty reasonable. Could use a little polish, and maybe move backups to a second screen to reduce complexity:
You now click "Use Instance" and get asked to authorize:
There are some technical reasons for this but this isn't great. Even if we can't easily remove this dialog, the generic, technical wording is not as helpful to users as it could be.
Then you end up here, and I think our NUX is just overwhelming if you don't know how to get started:
I think T5317 is mostly the way forward for this.