After upgrading to the latest phabricator the creation of non-hosted svn repositories has changed. It now has a series of CRUD interfaces, whereas it used to be a wizard. It is now significantly harder and error prone to create a new repository.
what I'm running now:
phabricator cadac75b82bbed18d52c3ee7ba6d396bff69c009 (Fri, Jun 24)
arcanist 18b27b03fa3d9f2439bf998c5fa2e4f5bd93db16 (Jun 18 2016)
phutil 8aa8612a094b4dafcf5c461b746a613a1e229b86 (Jun 18 2016)
What I used to run:
phabricator fea2389066edf3ad0a7547ae12d8e988428a4f5c (Sat, Apr 2)
arcanist f89f3de65805f7f65c8082ed387e8e2572596f7a (Mar 19 2016)
phutil d414e4436e1c8779634458c23ab8880cf613312f (Fri, Apr 1)
without fully reverting my install, the old workflow was something like:
- click create repository
- select SVN, hosted elsewhere, NEXT
- Put in label/name for use inside phabricator
- put in HTTPS url to repo, NEXT
- selected my credential from dropdown, NEXT
- hit advanced
- add tags, callsign
- start import
I just went through the same process in the new workflow.
- click create repository
- selected SVN, NEXT
- Put in label/name for use inside phabricator, tags, callsign
- now sitting at a CRUD interface that defaults to self-hosted
- fail to find setting for non-hosted repo in basic, storage and subversion tabs. Check an existing repo and see it is probably uri. Click uri.
- click add uri
- put in https uri, not sure what to select i/o and display type, the language has changed and no longer designes hosted vs non-hosted. Left default at first, until I verified that existing repos made with previous methods actually did observe and hidden, so went back and changed them. Wondered why it wasn't asking for credentials.
- Saw there is a seperate CRUD to assign a credential, click it, selected my credential
- went back to basic tab, active repo
The biggest problem is how unstreamlined the process is compared to the old wizard. I feel like I'm back with a simple CRUD interface to a 3rd normal form db, instead of something that is intelligent about the actual human process. Not only that but the language has moved away from human-friendly terms like "hosted" vs "non-hosted" to "observe". The whole process is much more confusing, and I feel it cannot simply be attributed to learning the new way.
Adding the URI was the main problem here, and if the "create repository" step had prompted me for it like the old wizard did, I probably wouldn't have minded the new CRUD interface afterwards as much, even though I do believe it to be a step backwards in usability and readability.