This is cumbersome for users and can feel a little tone deaf (ha ha ha).
Improve this by:
- Marking which emoji accept skin tone modifiers.
- Collapsing them in the typeahead, so you just get one :man:, not :man: thorugh :man_tone_5:.
- Adding a preferred skin tone setting, so you can make all your :thumbsup: have darker or lighter skin by default if you want, without needing to scroll through the list every time.
- Default the skin tone setting to randomly select among all the tones.
- Allow emoji to be ordered non-alphabetically for cases like "thumbsup" vs "thumbsdown".
This addresses T12644 by removing all the variants of "thumbs", and then making "thumbsup" come first, so :thu now autocompletes to :thumbsup:.