FWIW, a pitfall we ran into was that during the initial import, unless you too steps to avoid it, the initial import generates email. We ended up disabling autoclose and notify/push during the initial import to avoid this.
This may have been PEBKAC or a problem specific to us; I just thought I'd mention it in case it affects normal users and may be worth warning about here.
I'm guessing you probably hit T9554; I'll either fix that or caution about this before removing the scary header from this document. I think it will automatically fix itself when the distinction between "hosted" and "imported" repositories partially dissolves Fairly Soon Now, but I'll make a note for myself to double check this.