NOTE: I am not sure this is something that Phabricator can fix, but may affect other installs
We've noticed that notifications haven't been working on our install the past several weeks. When attempting to do basic testing, the aphlict server quits unexpectedly:
```lang=console,name=Client running curl
cspeck@host ~> curl https://testing.company.com:22280 -vvvvv
* Rebuilt URL to: https://testing.company.com:22280/
* Trying 10.x.x.x...
* Connected to testing.company.com (10.x.x.x) port 22280 (#0)
* Server aborted the SSL handshake
* Closing connection 0
curl: (35) Server aborted the SSL handshake
```lang=console,name=Server running in debug
[cspeck@testing phabricator]$ sudo -u nginx ./bin/aphlict debug --config ./conf/aphlict/aphlict.custom.json
Reading configuration from: /usr/local/phacility/phabricator/conf/aphlict/aphlict.custom.json
Starting Aphlict server in foreground...
$ node '--max-old-space-size=256' -- '/usr/local/phacility/phabricator/support/aphlict/server/aphlict_server.js' '--config=/usr/local/phacility/phabricator/conf/aphlict/aphlict.custom.json'
[11/18/2016, 9:03:04 PM] Starting servers (service PID 10345).
[11/18/2016, 9:03:04 PM] Logging to "/var/log/aphlict.log".
[11/18/2016, 9:03:04 PM] Started client server (Port 22280, With SSL).
[11/18/2016, 9:03:04 PM] Started admin server (Port 22281, No SSL).
[11/18/2016, 9:03:04 PM] This server has fingerprint "um6kb7vpJTDQ88RM".
>>> Server exited!
NodeJS 6.9.1 is the current LTS version of Node, which is what `yum` installs/upgrades to by default. Looking at the [[ https://github.com/nodejs/node/blob/master/doc/changelogs/CHANGELOG_V6.md#6.9.1 | Changelog for Node 6.9.1 ]], nothing explicitly mentions SSL but there are references to some hashing things. I suppose it's possible the issue might also be related to which version of OpenSSL is installed on the system as well, though I'm not as certain I know the best way to go about changing OpenSSL versions for compiling Node or `ws`.
I've tested swapping out the node binary for both v6.9.0 and v7.1.0, re-installing `ws` (just in case). Doing this seems to get things working again.
Additionally, not using SSL seems to work as well, however that would also mean the entire Phabricator install would have to be taken off HTTPS (and generally not recommended).
**Workaround I didn't try**: I think in theory [[ https://secure.phabricator.com/book/phabricator/article/notifications/#terminating-ssl-with-ngi | by following these steps]], having nginx handle & terminate SSL should work, allowing the aphlict services to both be running HTTP.
**Workarounds that don't work**: I tried installing/using old versions of `ws` as the aphlict project does not specify which version it relies on. The current version is v1.1.1, and I tried v0.8, v0.7, and v0.6 all with the same results.