User Guide: Managing Phabricator EmailPhabricator User Documentation (Application User Guides)
How to effectively manage Phabricator email notifications.
Phabricator uses email as a major notification channel, but the amount of email it sends can seem overwhelming if you're working on an active team. This document discusses some strategies for managing email.
By far the best approach to managing mail is to write mail rules to categorize mail. Essentially all modern mail clients allow you to quickly write sophisticated rules to route, categorize, or delete email.
You can reduce the amount of email you receive by turning off some types of email in Settings → Email Preferences. For example, you can turn off email produced by your own actions (like when you comment on a revision), and some types of less-important notifications about events.
The best approach to managing mail is to write mail rules. Simply writing rules to move mail from Differential, Maniphest and Herald to separate folders will vastly simplify mail management.
Phabricator also sets a large number of headers (see below) which can allow you to write more sophisticated mail rules.
Phabricator sends a variety of mail headers that can be useful in crafting rules to route and manage mail.
Headers in plural contain lists. A list containing two items, 1 and 15 will generally be formatted like this:
X-Header: <1>, <15>
The intent is to allow you to write a rule which matches against "<1>". If you just match against "1", you'll incorrectly match "15", but matching "<1>" will correctly match only "<1>".
Some other headers use a single value but can be presented multiple times. It is to support e-mail clients which are not able to create rules using regular expressions or wildcards (namely Outlook).
The headers Phabricator adds to mail are:
- X-Phabricator-Sent-This-Message: this is attached to all mail Phabricator sends. You can use it to differentiate between email from Phabricator and replies/forwards of Phabricator mail from human beings.
- X-Phabricator-To: this is attached to all mail Phabricator sends. It shows the PHIDs of the original "To" line, before any mutation by the mailer configuration.
- X-Phabricator-Cc: this is attached to all mail Phabricator sends. It shows the PHIDs of the original "Cc" line, before any mutation by the mailer configuration.
- X-Differential-Author: this is attached to Differential mail and shows the revision's author. You can use it to filter mail about your revisions (or other users' revisions).
- X-Differential-Reviewer: this is attached to Differential mail and shows the reviewers. You can use it to filter mail about revisions you are reviewing, versus revisions you are explicitly CC'd on or CC'd as a result of Herald rules.
- X-Differential-Reviewers: list version of the previous.
- X-Differential-CC: this is attached to Differential mail and shows the CCs on the revision.
- X-Differential-CCs: list version of the previous.
- X-Differential-Explicit-CC: this is attached to Differential mail and shows the explicit CCs on the revision (those that were added by humans, not by Herald).
- X-Differential-Explicit-CCs: list version of the previous.
- X-Phabricator-Mail-Tags: this is attached to some mail and has a list of descriptors about the mail. (This is fairly new and subject to some change.)
- X-Herald-Rules: this is attached to some mail and shows Herald rule IDs which have triggered for the object. You can use this to sort or categorize mail that has triggered specific rules.